Hero Tags are a new feature in Bit Heroes meant to help retain new players and add a bit of prestige for veterans. If you are familiar with Battle.net or Discord, you will be a bit familiar with the concept. Here are some more details of how it works in Bit Heroes:
- Character have two components: Display Name and Hero Tag
- The Display Name is your character name and it will show up in most places of the game you’re used to-- chat, guild member list, etc.
- Display names are not unique. This means more than 1 person can have the same display name.
- Hero Tags are a randomly assigned string of letters and numbers that will now be attached to your character.
- Hero Tags are unique. This means there will never be another player with the same Display Name and Hero Tag combined.
- The full Display Name and Hero Tag can be seen by clicking on the “HT” button in a player’s profile.
- A history of the player's previous names can by seen by clicking on the "HN" button in a player's profile.
- Players can now change their own Display Name by using an Amnesia Token, found in the shop.
- Character name requirements:
- Use alphanumeric (A-Z, 0-9) character or dashes (-, _)
- Not contain offensive content
- Is between 3 and 16 characters
- Name changes can only be done every 14 days.
- There is an option in settings to "display player levels" which will show you the level of the player who is talking. This should help with any confusion about duplicate names.
We hope that the addition of player level in world chat will reduce confusion when there is more than 1 player with the same name present.
Why change the character name system now?
When new Bit Heroes players get to the point where they are asked to name their character, we lose a large percentage of those new players because they are unable to get the name they want. Adding the Hero Tag feature is the best solution for that problem, giving new players the opportunity to name their character however they wish, as many of you got to do in the early days of the game. We hope that our veteran players can get on board with this change knowing it will greatly help bring in a flourishing new generation of heroes.
How will invites, searches, and /v chat command work now?
If there is more than 1 player with the name you are searching for, you will see a window with search results:
The inclusion of their hero tag and level in this window should help you find the correct person.
Any additional improvements planned for Hero Tags?
YES! We want to add more value for our veterans and maintain a sense of uniqueness in the community. We are brainstorming a type of ‘Verified Player’ feature: a special chat color or small icon next to character name which would be unlocked via milestones such as player level, TS, or account age. Additional improvements to this feature are being planned, so please do share your feedback, suggestions, and requests.
REMINDER: harassing, vulgar, impersonating, or otherwise offensively named characters may be renamed or banned with or without notice. Breaking this, or any, conduct rule on an alt account may affect your main account! If you have an impersonator or harassment to report, please contact us and we will take care of that as soon as possible.